Two years ago when I reviewed IT Chapter One, I didn’t know how I was ever going to survive waiting two years to see Chapter Two. I absolutely loved Chapter One and that’s what makes this review so hard to write. I didn’t love this movie but I also didn’t hate it. I feel very meh toward it and in many ways, that’s worse. I’m going to break this review into sections, what I loved and what I did not. This review will have spoilers but I’m going to try and keep them to a minimum.
- The casting was absolutely phenomenal. The adult actors were basically identical to their kid counterparts.
- Patrick Hockstetter’s corpse chauffeuring Henry Bowers around after he escaped from the mental asylum was one of the few really creepy moments in this movie, at least it was to me.
- Adult Richie, played by Bill Hader, was very funny. It was weird to be laughing throughout a horror movie but he just had some genuinely funny lines.
- The kid’s deaths really got to me, especially the little girl with the birthmark on her face.
- I loved how there were extra scenes with the kids. I especially loved the scene with young Ben in the school when he’s talking to “Beverly”.
- Stephen King has a cameo scene and that’s pretty neat.
- I still love Pennywise just as much but I wish he would have been in the movie more. He was technically in the majority of the movie but I’m referring to his clown form.
- The casting was perfect but their acting was not. There were quite a few scenes that felt like the director just went with the first attempt. The pacing felt off and there was a lack of chemistry. One of the main points in my review for Chapter One was I loved how it felt like the kids were actually friends. They had such a good chemistry together but unfortunately, that is lacking in their adult counterparts. Even Ben and Beverly, who are supposed to fall in love, just didn’t have that spark.
- There’s a big “twist” where it’s revealed that Bill wasn’t really sick as a kid, he just didn’t want to go out and play with Georgie. Ok? No kid on earth ALWAYS wants to play with their sibling so I’m not sure why this was made to seem so important.
- The end battle with Pennywise was so unbelievably dumb. They basically hurt his feelings and he died.
- Richie killed Henry Bowers and it was barely even addressed. The miniseries did a much better job with this scene.
- They completely cut out Audra’s, Bill’s wife, role in the story.
- They all get a goodbye letter of sorts at the end from Stan. I think that completely takes away from the horror of his suicide and was just a dumb change to make.
- Nothing in this movie scared me. At every possible scary part, there would either be some horrifically bad CGI or Richie would make a joke.
- Speaking of bad CGI, Mrs. Kersh had to be the worst. They had her looking like Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.
Do I recommend you see IT Chapter Two? Yes I do. It’s not terrible. I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed, lol. I love the book (you can read my review here) and I’ve enjoyed both the miniseries and the movie, even with their issues. If you’ve seen the movie, please let me know what you thought about it. Do you agree or disagree with my points? Thanks for reading and have a great day!