How can I even begin to review Reign when I have so many mixed feelings about it? I seriously have a love/hate for this show. After I reviewed Versailles I wanted another good historical drama to obsess over… um I mean casually watch and I happened across Reign on Netflix. The series has twenty-two episodes in the first season and there is three seasons available right now. I’m not sure when the fourth season will be available on Netflix but it will be the final season of the show. A very basic summarization of the show is it’s based on Mary Queen of Scots and her marriage to the Dauphine of France, Francis. It begins in 1557 with Mary’s arrival to the French Court with her ladies and from there it’s basically about their drama and romantic antics. The show is classified as a fantasy, historical romance. I would say it is way more fantasy than it is historical. For ease of reading, I’m going to break down what I dislike and like about the show into bullet list form.
What I Disliked:
- The only historical aspect to this show is some of the names and places.
- The costumes are nothing like what would’ve been worn in that time period, like at all. The dresses are basically what very rich high school girls wear to prom (a formal dance).
- The music is awful. I don’t mean that every song is terrible because I like many of them but each one is modern. There was no attempt to use historically accurate music or even regular classical music. It ruins the historical setting, in my opinion.
- Some of the love stories are ridiculous and forced. I don’t mean in an arranged marriage kind of way but in a “we just met and now we’re passionately in love” or “I just lost the love of my life but I’m over it and onto the next one” or “I hated you like three hours ago but you complimented me so now we’re in love.” It’s all very childish and unrealistic.
What I Liked:
- Most of the characters are very likable and enjoyable to watch.
- If you keep in mind that it is a fantasy story, not historical, it’s easy to be sucked into the story line. I’m not going to lie, I’ve cried a few times.
- I like the drama. Drama TV is my guilty pleasure and this show is full of it. Like I said above some of it is childish and unrealistic but some of the situations are very well written and thought out.
I have already started season two so I’m sure I will be done with that in the next few days. However, I have ruined basically the entire show for myself. I accidentally found out that there is a major character death coming up and I am already devastated haha. I know it’s coming but I can promise you I’m still going to cry because I’m the kind of person that cries over fictional characters. Anyways though, I think that’s everything as far as season one goes. If you like fantasy with Kings, Queens and a lot of romance than this show would be great for you. However, if you like more historically accurate dramas than I would skip Reign. If you’ve seen the show let me know what you thought about it! Thank you for reading and have a great day!