I called this post Date Night Approved Makeup because this is all of my favorite products to use when I go out. However, these recommendations are also great for work or just whenever you want your makeup to last. Valentine’s Day is in just a few days so I thought this post might be helpful. A few products I won’t be mentioning are: primers because I never notice that big of a difference with one, concealers because I feel like most concealers will last if they’re on top of a good foundation, eyeshadow palettes because as long as I use a primer my eyeshadow always lasts and eyeliner simply because I rarely wear any. I’ve reviewed almost all of these products and I’ll link to those reviews. I’ll also be showing you two different date night looks I’ve recently worn!
Foundation, Powder & Setting Spray
- How long a foundation lasts on you is very dependent on your skin type. For my combination and acne prone skin, the e.l.f. Acne Fighting Foundation is my go to. I do have to use a white mixer for the lightest shade but at only $6.00 I’m willing to work with it. It’s full coverage with a natural skin finish.
- My all time favorite loose powder is the Covergirl Clean Professional Loose Powder. This might not work the best for very oily skin but for my combo/dry skin it’s perfect. *Helpful hint: pat a little bit of this, or any loose translucent powder, on top of your lipstick to lock it in place.
- For a little added coverage my go to is the NYX Hydra Touch Powder Foundation. I don’t use this all over my face because it can look cakey over a regular foundation but I love applying it on any spots that are still noticeable.
- I use the Mario Badescu Rosewater Spray on my bare skin, to wet my eyeshadow brushes and over my makeup. It’s a true multitasker. I wouldn’t say this helps my makeup last longer but it does help everything melt together and not look powdery. You can buy this spray in a travel size bottle which is perfect to take out with you to refresh your makeup.
- Like foundation, the effectiveness of a setting spray can be dependent on your skin type. For me, the basic e.l.f. Makeup Mist works perfectly. I also really like the matte version on days my skin is oilier.
Highlighter & Blush
- The e.l.f. Coco Glow Highlighter isn’t a powder but it’s also not a cream. It can be applied with your finger, a sponge or a brush and it looks beautiful no matter how you apply it. For a subtle glow, I recommend using a brush but to really make it pop on your cheekbones, I recommend a damp sponge. I have the shade Moonlight.
- The Milani Strobelight Glow Powder is going to be ideal for anyone that wants a subtle, but buildable, highlight. This isn’t the best choice if you want a highlight that can be seen from space, unless you take the time to build it up, but if you just want that “lit from within” glow, give this highlighter a try. I have the shade Moon Glow.
- The BH Cosmetics Spotlight Highlight Palette has honestly been one of my best makeup purchases ever. It’s such high quality with a ton of variety.
- For blush, the e.l.f. Primer Infused Blush is a staple. My favorite shade is Always Cheeky but Always Rosy is beautiful as well.
- The essence Satin Touch Blush is another gorgeous, affordable and long lasting option. It’s almost creamy to the touch and is so easy to apply. It doesn’t go on to the cheeks too pigmented but it can be built up. I have and love both shades, Satin Coral and Satin Love.
- Last but not least is the J.Cat Beauty Love Struck Blush. As you can see in the picture, I’ve actually hit pan on this. I use it all the time because it’s so pretty. I have the shade Sweet Pea Pink which is a light and cooler toned pink shade.
Eyeshadow Primer, Liquid Shadow, Mascara & Brows
- For eyeshadow primer, I alternate between two different ones, the Milani Eyeshadow Primer and the essence I Love Colour Eyeshadow Base. They both work equally well but I prefer the essence one because it has a doe foot applicator and I don’t have to use my finger to apply it.
- I actually have not reviewed the Stila Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadows yet but that review is coming this Friday. All of mine are minis and were purchased in a set but if you want a full size they’re $24.00 apiece. That is very pricey but if you do choose to buy one they are beautiful on the eyes and very long lasting. The shades I own are pictured above; from top to bottom is Kitten Karma, Smoldering Satin and Tulip Twinkle.
- Right now I am loving the Covergirl Lash Blast Volume Mascara. I actually wasn’t crazy about this mascara when I first tried it but as it’s gotten older the formula has improved, which is common with mascara. In the pictures posted below you can see how it looks on my lashes. I don’t struggle with watery eyes or anything like that but if you do there’s a waterproof version available.
- I’m very simple when it comes to my brows. I fill in the patches with the e.l.f. Instant Lift Brow Pencil and then go over that with the essence Lash & Brow Gel.
- The e.l.f. Studio Matte Lipstick isn’t the most long wearing lipstick and it’s really not even matte. It is, however, very comfortable to wear and easy to apply.
- I have not reviewed the Covergirl Melting Pout Matte Lipstick and for some reason I can’t find this anywhere online to link it. I bought mine on clearance at WalMart in the shade Gray Matter. This lipstick is so comfortable to be a full on matte lipstick and it’s also very long wearing. However, I can’t wear this alone because it’s extremly patchy. I love using this as a topper for other cool toned lipsticks, especially the next one I’m going to mention.
- The NYX Suede Matte Lipstick is one of the best formulas NYX has. It’s very comfortable on the lips and has a velvet feeling finish. This lipstick isn’t the most longwearing, however. I have the shade Moonwalk pictured above and I love to top it with Gray Matter. This combination lasts on me for HOURS but it doesn’t really hold up well to eating.
- My all time favorite lipstick to wear out is the Dose of Colors Matte Liquid Lipstick. It’s comfortable, long wearing and holds up beautifully to eating and drinking.
My Date Night Looks
I wore this look out for my anniversary. I’m using a ton of the products I mentioned above. On my lips is the Nyx Suede Matte in Moonwalk mixed with the Covergirl Melting Pout in Gray Matter. My eye look was created using a few different palettes: the crease shade is from the Milani Must Have Naturals palette, my lid and inner corner is from the Morphe 35V palette and my lower lash line is from the Juvia’s Place Nubian 2 palette. This look was so simple but it’s now one of my favorites.
This look is very Valentine-esque and also super simple. For my eye look, I used the Morphe 35V palette for everything and then I used the Stila Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow in Tulip Twinkle on top of the other shadow on my lid. On my cheeks is the J.Cat Blush I mentioned above. I also feel like you can really see the Covergirl mascara in action in these pictures. On my lips is a Lorac lipstick that I really don’t recommend but a similar shade that I do recommend is Stone from Dose of Colors.
I hope this was helpful to you whether you’re going on a date or just wanting some good makeup. I honestly don’t like Valentine’s Day and never have (my husband and I don’t even celebrate it lol) but I hope you have a great one whether you’re in a relationship or single! Thanks for reading and have a great day!